Hellerau By Odom, Selma Landen
Founded in 1909 as Germany’s first ‘garden city’, Hellerau is a district of Dresden located in the wooded countryside north of the city. Developers Karl Schmidt (1873–1948) and Wolf Dohrn (1878–1914) followed Ebenezer Howard’s (1850–1928) concepts of community planning to build a modern village around the Deutsche Werkstätten für Handwerkskunst (German Workshops for Crafts). Schmidt and Dohrn surrounded the workshops for producing furniture and architectural details with curving streets of attractive row houses, cottages and villas for residents. A team of architects that included Richard Riemerschmid (1868–1957) and Hermann Muthesius (1861–1927) gave physical form to Hellerau’s principles of quality, harmony and functionality in life and work.