Caro, Anthony (1924–2013) By Hudson, Kitty
Anthony Caro played a pivotal role in the development of sculpture in the 20th century. He began his career as an assistant to Henry Moore, and made his name with a ground-breaking exhibition of work at London’s Whitechapel Gallery in 1963, in which large, abstract, brightly colored steel sculptures were displayed standing directly on the ground. His role in art education was of equal significance; teaching at Saint Martin’s School of Art from 1953 to 1981, he introduced a new approach to sculpture that questioned the boundaries of the medium, and encouraged a new generation of British artists. Over his long career he continued to experiment with technique and materials—though steel remained his preferred medium—and from the mid-1960s on he often worked in series, inspired by time he spent in metal factories in Europe and the United States. Unlike most other sculptors, Caro was inspired by painting. His later work drew on the Old and Modern Masters, reinterpreting them in three dimensions. A visit to Greece led to a series based on classical pediments in 1986, and a 1992 piece entitled The Trojan War. In the 1990s, Caro began using architectural elements in his sculpture, a concept he dubbed “sculptitecture,” allowing visitors to interact with the work. His achievements have been widely recognized, resulting in many public commissions, honors, and awards.